db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Memory-only mode and transactions/locking
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:10:37 GMT
Another hardware option that can help derby out a lot is placing
the log file on a battery backed disk or even cheaper is to get
a controller with a battery backed frontend cache.  I have seen
results on the latter and it basically removes the log sync I/O
bottle neck for a number of commit bound applications with no
change necessary to the application.  The cache does not have to
be that big as it just needs to caches the I/O from the log
commit long enough for it to hit disk before the cache fills.

I don't get much server hardware to play with any more, but the
last machine we got had it as a default configuration (it took
us awhile to figure out why our numbers were so good :-) ).

/mikem