db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Memory-only mode and transactions/locking
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:17:58 GMT
Elissa Newman wrote:
> Does Derby have a mode such that it runs in memory only? I am working on
> a project that needs the database to run in memory and not go to the
> disk at all (the amount of memory we have for our system should suffice
> for the database size we will have). I reviewed the available
> documentation and did not see a setting for something like this.

No, derby does not support an in-memory mode, but a feature is on the To
Do list at http://incubator.apache.org/derby/DerbyToDo.html . Recent
questions on derby-dev@db.apache.org indicate that this feature isn't
actively being worked on yet.

This has become an FAQ, so I'll add an entry to
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/faq.html .

> Also, we do not require transactions or locking. Is there a way to turn
> these off?

No, there's no way to turn transactions or logging off.

  -jean