db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <edenc...@gmail.com>
Subject feedback on derby
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 00:18:20 GMT
Hi,

I've tried using derby but I'm constantly running into problems. I
think mostly they are related to the JVM with embedding of derby.

I don't have enough skills to be a derby developer, and I'm caught
short on many issues relating to how to run derby.

The documentation is still too premature for me.
I can't find what I need when I need it. The documentation is
frequently referring to its other parts and those parts refer back, so
sometimes there is no clear explanation of what is going.

For example, I wanted to put the 'derby.properties' file somewhere.
But where do you put it in order for it go get picked up.
Another example, I wanted to determine the 'derby.system.home'
property while using connection pooling, but the several scenarios I
tried didn't work (mainly placing it in the 'context.xml' file but
also in program code).

all in all, I'm not ready for derby yet.
I'm a bit disappointed, because I usually don't give up on something
like this. E.g. I've used mckoi and got it working satisfactorily.

So I'm giving derby the flick.

Good luck with development, I'll be back from time to time to check it out.

not happy,
regards,

Luke Vanderfluit

--