db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andrej Tibaut <andrej.tib...@uni-mb.si>
Subject ON UPDATE CASCADE ?
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:37:48 GMT
I have setup the following database. It contains two tables with two columns
each. The first table (VrstaPrevoza) is a parent table to the second one
(VozniRedi) via foreign key on field VrstaId. I want the changes (updates)
to the VrstaPrevoza.VrstaId to be propagated to the child table VozniRedi.
The UPDATE statement results in an error.

------------------------

My code:

DRIVER 'org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver';
CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:database/test;create=true';

-- VrstaPrevoza
DROP TABLE VrstaPrevoza;
CREATE TABLE VrstaPrevoza (VrstaId CHAR(2) NOT NULL,
                           Opis VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
                          PRIMARY KEY (VrstaId));
INSERT INTO VrstaPrevoza VALUES ('MK','bla bla');
INSERT INTO VrstaPrevoza VALUES ('PR','bla bla');
INSERT INTO VrstaPrevoza VALUES ('MN','bla bla');

-- VozniRedi
DROP TABLE VozniRedi;
CREATE TABLE VozniRedi (VozniRedId VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
   VrstaId CHAR(2)  NOT NULL,
                    PRIMARY KEY (VozniRedId),
   FOREIGN KEY (VrstaId) REFERENCES VrstaPrevoza(VrstaId));
INSERT INTO VozniRedi VALUES ('MK1110010R','MK');
INSERT INTO VozniRedi VALUES ('MK1110020R','MK');

ij> UPDATE VrstaPrevoza SET VrstaId='AB' WHERE VrstaId='MK';
ERROR 23503: UPDATE on table 'VRSTAPREVOZA' caused a violation of foreign
key co
nstraint 'SQL050403042438881' for key (MK).  The statement has been rolled
back.

I would expect to be able to define the foreign key like
FOREIGN KEY (VrstaId) REFERENCES VrstaPrevoza(VrstaId) ON UPDATE CASCADE;
but this doesn't work in Derby.

How to implement "UPDATE CASCADE"??

Many thanks!

Andrej