db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dan Scott <deni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LIMIT with Select Statement
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:30:41 GMT
Bernd:

That's not a good assumption. The Derby Project Charter
(http://incubator.apache.org/derby/) states:

The Derby project develops open source database technology that is:

    * Pure Java
    * Easy to use
    * Small footprint
    * Standards based
    * Secure

The reason I proposed the ROW_NUMBER() OVER approach is that it
conforms to point 4 in the charter: standards compliance.

There's nothing about DB2 compatibility in the Derby charter. For one
recent example, the change to no longer require an explicit NOT NULL
clause in the declaration of a column as a PRIMARY KEY breaks
compatibility with DB2 syntax.

Dan