db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Foster <kevin.fos...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: OS database
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:57:23 GMT
Vikas wrote:

 > It has been made available under LGPL
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/daffodildb/>http://sourceforge.net/projects/daffodildb/

There seem to be differing opinions on whether LGPL can safely be
distributed with other license types. Here's what Apache says about
including LGPL code in Apache projects for example:

         http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Using_20LGPL_27d_20code

(I've been reading the Lawrence Rosen book Open Source Licensing mentioned
on this page. I'd recommend it as required reading for anyone mixing and
matching software licenses.)

I personally know of at least two large companies whose lawyers won't let
their developers bundle LGPL code into regular commercial product
distributions due to open questions in this regard. Apache License, EPL,
CPL, BSD, and similar are all fine, but GPL and even LGPL are potentially
incompatible with commercial software offerings.

But I'm not a lawyer, so check with yours before deciding anything.

-Kevin