db-derby-user mailing list archives

From myrna <my...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Can't insert into Derby database via Cold Fusion?
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:27:49 GMT
Yvan Gagnon wrote:

> Hmm, ... that seemed like a logical thing for me to re-examine, but
> I've verified that all of the columns in my table allow for null
> values.  I even dropped and then re-created the table to make sure.
> But I 'm still getting the same error message when trying to insert data.
>
> I'm wondering if perhaps the SQL client / table editor I'm using might
> have some shortcomings that are hindering my ability to create tables
> with the correct properties (I'm using the DBEdit plugin for Eclipse
> on the PC platform).  Is there a better client / table editor that you
> could recommend, perhaps? -- One that will work with Derby?
> Thanks,
> - yvan

Well, it was worth a check...
I think I've heard of people using DBEdit and can't remember any
complaints...which may just mean I haven't heard/remembered :-)

But there's always ij - the derby command line SQL utility.
    java -Dij.protocol=jdbc:derby: org.apache.derby.tools.ij
     (there's some scripts too, but they're not currently in jar files).
IBM developerworks has a plug-in that loads ij into Eclipse:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0501cline/

There's also debugging steps you can take:
- add the following to the startup command for the network server:
    -DretrieveMessagesFromServerOnGetMessage=true
     (that will show the actual message, rather then just the SQL
ErrorCode).
- add the following to your derby.properties file (unless you have one
already, this should go in the location where your derby database sits)
    derby.infolog.append=true
    derby.language.logStatementText=true
    derby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0

Then, you can look in the derby.log file to find out what statement
derby is executing when you encounter the error.

Myrna