db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] on ground rules for determining Derby logo
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 05:42:30 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
+1. Guess I have to vote twice more before we have a LOGO...<span
Satheesh<br>
Susan Cline wrote:<br>
 type="cite">
Option 2 would be good.</div>
used to select the top three<br>
finalists (unless there is a tie for number of votes there might be
more than three entries</div>
selected in the first phase.</div>
* Everyone gets to vote.<br>
* Only one vote per person submitted to <a
 href="mailto:derby-user@db.apache.org">derby-user@db.apache.org</a><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - please don't use a different email address to vote twice
:-)<br>
* Vote for only one logo, or you may vote for 'none of the above'.<br>
* Once we call for the vote, voting will continue for one week.&nbsp; <br>
* When we call for the vote we will announce the official deadline<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; to jive with the one week period.<br>
* The vote will be done by email to the derby-user mailing list.<br>
*The top three vote getters (actual number of votes) from the first
round of votes will<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; be the only logos included in the second round of
voting.&nbsp;</div>
the top number of
votes, all of these entries</div>
For instance, say 7
entries all get 20 votes, then</div>
Or, if the top
entry gets 20 votes and the</div>
get 19 votes and there are&nbsp;4
of these logos,</div>
voting.&nbsp;A
third example would be</div>
19 votes
and the third got 18 votes,</div>
Then these 5 entries
would all be included in the</div>
* For the second round of votes the highest vote getter from the three
will be the winner<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; of the contest overall.<br>
* In the event the winner of the second round of voting produces the
result of<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 'None of the above', we will not choose a logo at this time
and
wait for<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; more entries.<br>
* The second round of voting will last from March 21st - March 23rd, 5
PM PST.<br>
* I volunteer to tally the votes.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Before we actually vote for the logo, please vote on the<br>
acceptance of these ground rules.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
The vote for these ground rules will end March 9th at 5 PM PST.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
[ ] +1 : I agree with these rules<br>
[ ]&nbsp; 0 : abstain<br>
[ ] -1 : I disagree with these rules</div>
do not need to revote unless</div>
wrote:</div>
 style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(16, 16, 255); padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px;"><br>
&gt;The simple majority of votes will determine the winner.<br>
Do you mean a simple majority or a plurality? With the number of
entries, <br>
it's not likely that there will be a simple majority (i.e. an entry
whose <br>
votes account for more than 50% of those cast). There are several ways
to <br>
deal with this:<br>
1) the winner is the one with a plurality of votes (i.e. the most <br>
votes, although not necessarily a majority)<br>
2) a run-off among the top vote-getters (possibly the top three)<br>
3) instant run-off, where each voter lists up to three (or possibly <br>
more) selections in order of precedence. Everyone's first choice is <br>
counted. If the top vote-getter has more than 50% of the vote, that's
the <br>
winner. Otherwise, figure out which candidate has the least votes, <br>
eliminate that one from the competition, and count the votes again
using <br>
the next choice for anyone who preferred the candidate that was
eliminated. <br>
Keep doing this until there is a clear winner.<br>
4) approval voting, where each voter is allowed to vote for as many <br>
candidates as he or she wants. The idea is to vote for all the
candidates <br>
one approves of. The winner is the one that gets the most votes - there
are <br>
no run-off elections in this voting system.<br>
I really think it's important to figure this out - otherwise, we could
run <br>
into disagreements about which logo really won, or we could get a
winner <br>
with three votes that the great majority of the voters didn't vote for.<br>
- Jeff Lichtman<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:swazoo@rcn.com">swazoo@rcn.com</a><br>
Check out Swazoo Koolak's Web Jukebox at<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://swazoo.com/">http://swazoo.com/</a>