db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Trevor Squires <tre...@protocool.com>
Subject Re: Inserting values in an identity column
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:38:32 GMT
Hi,

I asked this very question last week (or so) for pretty much the same
reason.

It doesn't appear that you can alter the table to make it an identity
column after creation (which was my first idea).  I was also unable to
find any way to switch off the identity feature temporarily either.

One person suggested that derby ought to support something like
"generated by default as identity" which makes sense - although I'd
rather be able to just switch on and off the current behavior for

In order to get my project out the door I ended up converting the logic
to update/select rows in an "identities" table that I manage myself.

HTH,
Trevor