db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jack Klebanoff <klebanoff-de...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Shutdown and reconnection results in "No suitable Driver"
Date Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:07:59 GMT
Bernd Ruehlicke wrote:

>Maybe the question is leading to a more general question.
>
>Can I use the same Derby database instance from 2 JVM's ?  The scenario
>would be a controlling JVM which one in a while need to connect to derby
>- than disconnect. While the (still running) first JVM has disconnected
>a second JVM will try to access the same Derby database - and releases
>the connection simply when the JVM ends, whereafter again the
>controlling JVM want to open a connection to this Derby instance.
>
>I thought by doing the shutdown this was the way - but it seams that if
>you first have done a shutdown once - you are done for this JVM and need
>to restart the JVM to be able to establish a new frsh connection.
>

>B-)

The answer is yes and no. Two JVMs cannot simulaneously access the same
Derby database in embedded mode. However, one of the JVMs can make
itself a server allowing the second JVM to access the database in client
mode. See the Derby Server and Administration Guide
<http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/admin/hubprnt02.html#Derby+Server+and+Administration+Guide>.

Jack Klebanoff