db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Trevor Squires <tre...@protocool.com>
Subject identity column causes grief when populating table - suggestions?
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:38:39 GMT
Hi,

I've been googling all morning and can't find info to solve this problem
(using derby of course), I hope someone here can help...

As I write my application I have a script which blats and recreates my
database and then populates the tables with test data.

However, many of my tables have identity columns and it's causing the
following error when I insert the data:

  11:06:26  [INSERT - 0 row(s), 0.016 secs]  [Error Code: 30000, SQL
State: 42Z23]  Attempt to modify an identity column 'ID'.

Here's my table:

create table sample (
	id int not null generated always as identity,
	description varchar(128) not null,
	quantity double not null,
         constraint product_pk primary key (id)
);

Here's my insert statement

insert into sample (ID, DESCRIPTION, QUANTITY) values (1, 'blah', 1.1);

I've tried to create the table without "generated always as identity"
and then altering the table after the insert(s).

Unfortunately I can't get the syntax right and I can't figure out if
there's a way to turn off identity generation temporarily.

Does anyone have any suggestions like pointer to the right way to do
this or a relatively painless workaround?

Thanks for listening,
Trevor