db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Who else is in Derby's space?
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:18:23 GMT
THONGVS@Nationwide.com wrote:

> Is derby meant to be an alternative on the scale of MySQL?  or will it
> be aimed at giving HSQL users an alternative?

Derby's roots in Cloudscape focused on the embedded database market -
typically some form of database that could be distributed with an
application rather than as a standalone RDBMS. This is kind of like
HSQLDB but in comparison Derby has many more capabilities (e.g.
multi-user isolation, reliably durable data, distributed transactions,
...) A lot of organizations have used MySQL in similar circumstances and
Derby may well provide an alternative there.

Another area is that of a simple but reliable data store for a web
application, perhaps in conjunction with a Java server such as Apache
Tomcat or Apache Geronimo; there have been a lot of installations of
HSQLDB and MySQL in those environments and if that is your situation
Derby may again be a good alternative.

Derby is also aimed at the mobile arena - for example, Dan's work on
JSR169 support.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend it for a 10TB datamart - well
not yet anyway :-)

In the end, it really depends on what you want to use it for.

--
Jeremy