db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: jython + derby AND DESCRIBE
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:50:43 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Bob Gibson wrote a developerWorks article that shows how to connect to
> derby from jython:
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0502gibson/

Jython's zxJDBC package provides functionality similar to the DESCRIBE
requested on this list for ij.

|| cursor.tables(qualifier,owner,table,type)

|| Same as DatabaseMetaData.getTables

And there a number of commands that map to DatabaseMetaData methods.

http://www.jython.org/docs/zxjdbc.html

Possibly if Jython has existed when Cloudscape started, it would have
been picked at the SQL scripting tool. It would be interesting to see if
someone could add a jython test type to the Derby harness (or does it
exist in Junit?) and write Derby tests in Jython. Of course I don't know
if the Jython licence is compatible with the Apache licence.

Dan.