db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <bradb...@Mutagen.Net>
Subject Re: IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:13:00 GMT
michaelbaranov@mail.ru wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>I'm experiencing a problem using the IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL function. Any
>query with this function fails with an SQLException with message:
>
>      Unexpected token: IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL in statement ........
>
>I have the identity column in one of my tables, on which I successfully
>perform single-record inserts. Well, it seems it just doesn't even
>parse! I'm really upset about it. I have to use a workaround like:
>
>SELECT MAX(TABLE_ID) FROM MY_TABLE;
>
>instead of IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL().
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>I'm using:
>JRE 1.4.2
>Apache DERBY v.1.7.3
>
>Thanks!
>Michael.

 From the docuementation I am guessing that an insert must have just
been performed on that table before using this function, unlike the
MAX() function that performs a table scan of any numeric column and
returns the highest value regardless of  when it was inserted.

 From the Docs:
The value returned by the IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL function is the value
assigned to the identity column of the table identified in the most
recent single row INSERT statement.