db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mamta Satoor <ma...@Remulak.Net>
Subject Re: IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:10:36 GMT

michaelbaranov@mail.ru wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I'm experiencing a problem using the IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL function. Any
> query with this function fails with an SQLException with message:
>
>       Unexpected token: IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL in statement ........
>
> I have the identity column in one of my tables, on which I successfully
> perform single-record inserts. Well, it seems it just doesn't even
> parse! I'm really upset about it. I have to use a workaround like:
>
> SELECT MAX(TABLE_ID) FROM MY_TABLE;
>
> instead of IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL().
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> I'm using:
> JRE 1.4.2
> Apache DERBY v.1.7.3
>
> Thanks!
> Michael.

Hi Michael,

Following is an example of how you would use IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL() in your sql. You can find
more examples in functionTests/tests/lang/autoincrement.sql
ij> create table t1 (x int, s1 int generated always as identity);
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> insert into t1 (x) values (1);
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij> values IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL();
1
-------------------------------
1
ij> insert into t1 (x) values (2);
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij> values IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL();
1
2

Also, you can find documentation on IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL at following location in the Reference
Manual
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/reference/sqlj82.html#HDRIDENTITYVALLOCAL.

Hope this helps,
Mamta