db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Max size of LONG VARCHAR documentation inconsistency?
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2005 04:30:52 GMT
Ryan Dewell wrote:

>Hello,
>
>The documents provide two different definitions of the max size of LONG
>VARCHAR.  One is 32k, and the other is unlimited.  Does anyone know the real
>limit of LONG VARCHAR?  I'm looking for a column type similar to
>Postgresql's TEXT.
>
>-------------http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/reference/sqlj137.htm
>l#HDRSII-SQLJ-15147
>says:
>"The LONG VARCHAR type allows storage of character strings of unlimited
>length"
>
>http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/reference/sqlj270.html#HDRSTRINGLI
>MITS
>says:
>"Length of LONG VARCHAR	32,700 characters"
>-------------

The documentation is incorrect where it says maximum length is
unlimited. There is actually a jira entry for documentation that is yet
to be fixed.   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-102

The actual maximum lengths are
VARCHAR maximum length 32 672
LONG VARCHAR maximum length 32 700
CLOB maximum length 2 147 483 647
BLOB maximum length 2 147 483 647

maybe a clob will work if you need length more than 32k.

Hope this helps,
Sunitha.