db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <kar...@Source-Zone.Org>
Subject Re: Equivlent to MySQL DESCRIBE statement?
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:05:02 GMT
Hi,

Meanwhile, here is a SQL that can get the table description;

For example: A table 'ATAB" with schema name 'SAM'

ij> create table sam.atab(id int, col1 char(2));

ij> select columnname, columndatatype from sys.syscolumns where
referenceid in (select tableid from sys.systables a,
sys.sysschemas b where a.schemaid=b.schemaid and b.schemaname='SAM' and
a.tablename='ATAB');
COLUMNNAME
   |COLUMNDATATYPE
COL1
   |CHAR(2)
ID
   |INTEGER

I guess the above can be used in a SQL function, which can then be
executed the normal way ('ij' or java application).

-Rajesh