db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Barnet Wagman <b.wag...@comcast.net>
Subject Does jdbc commit() return before the transaction is complete?
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:34:10 GMT
Does a return from java.sql.connection.commit() guarantee that the
transaction is actually complete?  Or does Derby actually finish the
transaction in the background?  Am I correct in assuming that Derby runs
in its own thread?

I've run into a tricky problem.  It looks as if Derby's thread may be
running and hanging  up.  My program stops for an over a minute
at a point where nothing is happening - between the end of  method and
its return its the calling method.  This happens consistently at the
same point, which is shortly after a series of Derby updates that are
terminated by a connection.commit().  (However, the same thing happens
if I run section of code in autocommit.)

Any information on Derby's threading would be appreciated.

Thanks,

bw