db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mithun Ruikar <mithunrui...@yahoo.com>
Subject How to invoke methods of Blob interface
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2005 05:37:47 GMT
Hello ,

Barnet Wagman replied me , to use setBinaryStream method of Blob interface.
But How can I instantiate Blob object , as it is interface and I dont know it's implemetation
?

How I can get blob object to call setBinaryStream.

that is :
ps.setBinaryStream(psParamIndex, ins, b.length);
from where you got this ps and what is the value of psParamIndex.

thank you

-- mithun
Barnet Wagman <b.wagman@comcast.net> wrote:
I always serialize the object to a byte[]  and then use setBinaryStream(), e.g.

byte[] b = ... // serialize arbitrary object to byte[]

ByteArrayInputStream ins = new ByteArrayInputStream(b);
ps.setBinaryStream(psParamIndex, ins, b.length);

I've found this to be reliable. FYI Problems with using setObject () with blobs is not
specific to Derby.  I've had to use the above with MySQL and Oracle as well.

bw

Suavi Ali Demir wrote:
How about you first serialize your object into abyte[] and then do a setBytes() ? And then
to read itback you can do getBytes() and then deserialize fromthat byte[]. Would that work?Regards,Ali