db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mithun Ruikar <mithunrui...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to set value to Blob field of derby-made-table.
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:02:04 GMT
Hello ,

Barnet Wagman replied me , to use setBinaryStream method of Blob interface.
But How can I instantiate Blob object , as it is interface and I dont know it's implemetation
?

How I can get blob object to call setBinaryStream.

that is :
ps.setBinaryStream(psParamIndex, ins, b.length);
from where you got this ps and what is the value of psParamIndex.

thank you

-- mithun
Barnet Wagman <b.wagman@comcast.net> wrote:
I always serialize the object to a byte[]  and then use setBinaryStream(), e.g.

byte[] b = ... // serialize arbitrary object to byte[]

ByteArrayInputStream ins = new ByteArrayInputStream(b);
ps.setBinaryStream(psParamIndex, ins, b.length);

I've found this to be reliable. FYI Problems with using setObject () with blobs is not
specific to Derby.  I've had to use the above with MySQL and Oracle as well.

bw

Suavi Ali Demir wrote:
How about you first serialize your object into abyte[] and then do a setBytes() ? And then
to read itback you can do getBytes() and then deserialize fromthat byte[]. Would that work?Regards,Ali

--- Mithun Ruikar <mithunruikar@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello there ,  I have problem while setting Blob value to tablecreated in derby.I had created
: a datasource by parametercreate=true.and then created new table in it with one columnwith
Datatype as Blob. But when I tried to setObject value to this column (by serializable object
awt.color)It gave derby exception : trying to get Blob valuefrom Object type. setBlob also
didnt work with error saying : thismethod is undefined for (int , Object)and if i typecast
it to (int , (Blob) Object) : Igot classcastexception. please tell me how to set this value
to blob field -- mithun 		---------------------------------Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Search presents
- Jib Jab's 'Second Term'