Sorry, I did not read the original post, however two things come to mind:

1) Some plug-ins (Clover) require a JDK and not a JRE, which can be set as your default via the menu
         Windows -> Preferences then in the left Pane, Java -> Installed JRE's
Browse to add a JDK and then select it as your default.

2) I have not extensively used Ant in Eclipse, but thought of the Windows -> Preferences   Ant -> Runtime settings, and hmmmm, tools.jar is set in Global Entries for me (Eclipse 3.0.1).
If it is not in yours, you could also try adding it to Ant's classpath there.

Dave Been

Andrew McIntyre <>

01/16/2005 08:32 PM
Please respond to
"Derby Discussion"

"Derby Discussion" <>
Re: Build Errors (building Derby under Eclipse)

On Jan 16, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Irum Godil wrote:

> It seems to me that the Eclipse classpath file has no effect on
> build.xml or the ant building. It is picking up its files from
> somewhere else completely.

I think I know what is going on here. I think the java executable that
runs Ant from Eclipse is from a JRE installation instead of a JDK

For tools.jar for the taglet build, Ant tries to pick it up from the
JDK relative to the setting of the Java system property java.home, to
avoid having to make a copy of the JDK's tools.jar to another location.
On most systems, java.home is set to the *jre* directory of the JDK
installation. So, relative to this directory, tools.jar is in

However, if Ant is running from a JRE installation instead of a JDK
installation, this directory will not exist. If you add the -verbose
property to the Ant command line (inside Eclipse) and capture the
output, the 4th line of the output will give you the location of the
java.home. Once you know the location of java.home, you can copy
tools.jar to where the build expects it to be (${java.home}/../lib).

You could also find the location of java.home in a similar method as, with the following tag:

<echo message="**** JVM location ${java.home}" />

> I also tried copying the tools.jar file inside:
> $derbysource\tools\java file where the other jar files exist, but no
> luck there too.

If you are still unable to progress, another workaround would be to
change java/build/org/apache/derbyBuild/build.xml, line 35, to point to
a known copy of tools.jar

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)