This looks good to me.
thanks.

"Jean T. Anderson" <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
Irum Godil wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Yes you are right. Eclipse is looking for tools.jar in a different
directory vs. the command line. The program build after I copied
tools.jar in the right place.

Before everyone forgets this problem, I'd like to attempt to summarize
how to build Derby with Eclipse on Windows with information from these
messages from Rajesh and Andrew:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=derby-user@db.apache.org&msgNo=519
http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=derby-user@db.apache.org&msgNo=547

1) Setup everything as per the Derby build doc "How to build Derby"
section at http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html. If
you can build Derby from the command line, you're ready to set up Eclipse.

2) Derby uses jdk14 and jdk13 for its builds. So using the default
Eclipse building (which uses only one jdk ) may not a good idea.

un-check the Preferences for auto building.
Window - Preferences - Workbench - Build automatically
Window - Preferences - Run/Debug - Launching - Build (if required)
before launching

3) The rest of these instructions assume that you checked out the Derby
10.0 codeline in this subdirectory:

C:\derby10_0\10.0

svn co
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/code/branches/10.0/

4) The Eclipse project workspace is pointed to C:\derby10_0, if you try
creating a project with the same name '10.0' as above Eclipse identifies
the all the required subdirectories including the sources and the
classes (will take some time) since the checked out Derby 10.0 has same
name.

5) Setup Eclipse to recognize the 'classes' directory as the output folder.

Right click on the build.xml (most external) - Run - the first 'Ant
Build' uses the default "buildsource"

The second 'Ant Build' gives you the choices of the ant target.

6) The java executable that runs Ant from Eclipse needs to be able to
find the JDK tools.jar file -- and it might not be able to find it if
Ant is running from a JRE installation.

For the taglet build, Ant tries to pick tools.jar up from the JDK
relative to the setting of the Java system property java.home, to avoid
having to make a copy of the JDK's tools.jar to another location. On
most systems, java.home is set to the *jre* directory of the JDK
installation. So, relative to this directory, tools.jar is in
${java.home}/../lib/tools.jar.

However, if Ant is running from a JRE installation instead of a JDK
installation, this directory will not exist. If you add the -verbose
property to the Ant command line (inside Eclipse) and capture the
output, the 4th line of the output will give you the location of the
java.home. Once you know the location of java.home, you can copy
tools.jar to where the build expects it to be (${java.home}/../lib).

Corrections? Additions? When we have it "right", I'll add a link to the
instructions from the Derby FAQ.

thanks!

-jean

Do you Yahoo!?