Yes, I do need the source code as my goal is to refactor the source with aspects. I will need to change the code, introduce aspects and rebuild.

Is Derby code designed to work under a Java programming environment like Eclipse?

Thanks.

Arda M <mardacay@yahoo.com> wrote:
Do you really need the source code? Some aspect oriented programming tools may be able to instrument class files at class loader time. Then you would only need the derby.jar.

My guess is it would be problematic to tell eclipse how to build derby.

Irum Godil <softwarengineer2004@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am a graduate student at the University of Toronto. For a school project, I am interested in checking out the Derby source code and run it in Eclipse. Essentially, I am researching in Aspect oriented Programming (AOP) and would like to experiment principles of on Derby. For this I need to be loading and running the application from within a Java environment.

The problem is that on the Derby website under the download instructions, I am seeing that I need to download a lot of components such as JDK 1.4, JDK1.3, Java Compiler etc. I am not sure if all this is necessary if I would like to build and run it directly from Eclipse. Can someone please help me on this issue; i.e. is it possible to open, build and run the entire Derby code from within Eclipse?

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Irum Godil.