db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rich Hall <m...@richhall.com>
Subject Re: Logo
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 05:31:46 GMT

On Jan 1, 2005, at 5:01 PM, Brian Abbott wrote:

> ... I would encourage everyone to take a step back and
> ask themselves, what are or what should be Derby's Core Brand Values.
>> From that, you should develop a Brand Message. Once that's been
> established, every iteration and idea for a logo should be tested
> against that...

Good idea, in general, we should try this if we can.

But usually this is why there are so many logos representing
reliability, endurance, power, speed, freedom, visionary leadership,
forward-looking innovation. Everybody comes up with the same brand
values and everybody comes up with similar brand messages, all logos
start looking alike, an eagle on a mountain with an elliptical orbiter
of some kind.

Brand identity is every bit as important as brand values. While I'm
busy pondering brand values, maybe you can tell me what the following
logos say about brand values, and whether you think they were chosen
more for their brand identity...

Rich