db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Logo
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:33:02 GMT
Hi Jean,

On Jan 12, 2005, at 12:42 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> ummm, perhaps having a bed in the logo could be misconstrued as over
> the top. I'd like to start proposing guidelines for the logo contest,
> including:
>
> - No themes that could be misconstrued as offensive (though I realize
> how subjective "offensive" is)
> - No themes of violence -- the apache feather is good, but hatchets
> and apache attack helicopters are probably out.  By the way, does
> anyone know of any issues with using the apache feather in a logo?
>
> Any other opinions out there for what might or might not be suitable?

I must confess I was taken aback by the war-themed logos, and don't
believe that they are suitable.

And I agree that if symbols are offensive, we should not use them. The
whole point of offense is that it is subjective and personal on the
part of the person taking offense. In order to avoid offense, you need
to try to take the other point of view, and it's often hard to know
what will offend. Tricky indeed.

But I've never heard of anyone complaining about horses or derby hats
or feathers, so I think we've got lots of safe choices.

Craig

> -jean

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com