db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Samuel Andrew McIntyre <fuzzylo...@nonintuitive.com>
Subject Re: [OSX] Cannot log transaction changes
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:50:50 GMT
On Jan 27, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Liam Egan wrote:

> I'm having some problems witha derby database instance running under
> OSX. For some background, this is a project which requires the user to
> drag a folder containing the database and all of the project files -
> using jakarta as a server environment.
>
> When I try to write to the database using an insert, update or delete I
> get the following error;
>
> Cannot log transaction changes, maybe trying to write to a read only
> database.

Hi Liam,

This is a problem with the OS X JVM. Please see:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/faq.html#createdb_OS_X

and

In short, you need to set the property
derby.storage.fileSyncTransactionLog=true when starting Derby on OS X.
I have reported this issue to Apple, as have others.

Jean, could we please have the FAQ updated to reflect that this issue
affects modifying an existing database on OS X as well as creating a
new database?

Thanks,
andrew