db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [WEB] Upgrade of Derby web site to forrest 0.6 tonight
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:20:44 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> I have an error-free build of the Derby site using forrest 0.6 and
> would like to commit the changes tonight and make them visible to the
> web.

The web site update is complete, but you may need to reload/refresh any
pages that your browser has cached.

The Derby site uses the default forrest setup/skin for 0.6. I enabled
one of the new features -- the font size change buttons. I can turn that
off if people don't like it.

Please post any problems you encounter.

One thing I notice with the Manuals tab is if you drop down into any
single page, the Manuals menu automatically collapses, which I find a
little startling. This is a side effect of how pages for the manuals are
entered in the site.xml site index. Here's a snippet of the explanation
from
http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=derby-dev@db.apache.org&msgNo=658

:

>...  A file gets
>associated with the site by an entry in the site.xml file.  If an entry
>for that file is not there, forrest generates a left-hand navigation tab
>with the entire site contents. It made me sea sick the first time I
>encountered it. If you want to see this effect, edit your local copy of
>the site.xml to remove all but the "table of contents" and "index"
>entries for the manuals, do 'forrest site', then 'forrest run', then
>click on a page in one of the manuals.
>
>So, the current site.xml has an entry for every page in every manual.
>With the exception of the "table of contents" and "index" pages,
>entries don't have a label so it doesn't explode that navigation bar.
>--Imagine 700 files listed in that navigation tab. One problem remains
>that I haven't been able to figure out. The pages without a label get
>correctly associated with the Manuals tab (and that tab gets built
>correctly), but you lose context for the specific manual to which the
>page belongs.

So the pages stay associated with the Manuals tab, but the contents of
the tab collapses.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to improve this, I'm all ears!

regards,

 -jean