db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Nat Gross <natgross.rentalsyst...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Logo
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 02:25:55 GMT
Brian Abbott wrote:

>I would say that while I think each of these logos are good on a stand
>alone basis, I'm not sure how they are appropriate for the system. None
>of them really communicate any kind of message that one might look for
>in a database system.

Although I hear you, I must ask: What type of message does the IBM logo
communicate?
I tried to inject an "IBM feel" into the logo, because 1)It should come
across as a 'real' database, unlike MySql, which took years to achieve
that status, and 2) to remind people of derby's heritage<g>.
So, although one can communicate specific features in a product via the
logo, it is more important, imho, to communicate stability,
professionalism, and reliability.
I am coming from this angle, myself. I chose derby because IBM
contributed it and are still behind it.
Actually I couldn't decide if to give it more of an IBM feel (eg, the
same font/style as the IBM letters, or the color blue), but I decided
that at this point in time its an Apache product, open source, and
volunteers contributing hours of code,  hence my last incarnation of the
logo, also has the feather.
Having said all this, I still see your point. I am thinking of a 'happy'
logo. How about a 'db' or derby in a *bed*. A key derby feature is that
its emBEDded, so you can have a db in a bed. (Also the word bed has db
in it.) Just food for thought, but I shall leave this design to anyone
that likes the idea to produce. (It will definetly attract a certain
type of clientele<g><g>.)
HNY.
-nat