db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Irum Godil <softwarengineer2...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Building and Using Derby Source code from Eclipse
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:16:47 GMT
Yes, I do need the source code as my goal is to refactor the source with aspects. I will need
to change the code, introduce aspects and rebuild.

Is Derby code designed to work under a Java programming environment like Eclipse?

Thanks.

Arda M <mardacay@yahoo.com> wrote:
Do you really need the source code? Some aspect oriented programming tools may be able to
instrument class files at class loader time. Then you would only need the derby.jar.

My guess is it would be problematic to tell eclipse how to build derby.

Irum Godil <softwarengineer2004@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am a graduate student at the University of Toronto. For a school project, I am interested
in checking out the Derby source code and run it in Eclipse. Essentially, I am researching
in Aspect oriented Programming (AOP) and would like to experiment principles of on Derby.
For this I need to be loading and running the application from within a Java environment.

The problem is that on the Derby website under the download instructions, I am seeing that
I need to download a lot of components such as JDK 1.4, JDK1.3, Java Compiler etc. I am not
sure if all this is necessary if I would like to build and run it directly from Eclipse. Can
someone please help me on this issue; i.e. is it possible to open, build and run the entire
Derby code from within Eclipse?

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Irum Godil.