db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Liam Egan" <l...@liamegan.com>
Subject limit functionality
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:26:38 GMT
Hello everyone,

First let me preface this by saying that I'm totally new to derby, having
said that I am an experienced SQL programmer and have used mySQL
specifically for a number of years.

I'm going through and converting a database and all of my queries to derby
and I have the need to use LIMIT functionality. Or for those of you not
familiar with mySQL syntax specifically, the ability to fetch x records from
a point y number of records into the recordset.

In mySQL I would be able to tack 'LIMIT y,x' onto the end of a query to
accomplish this, but I can't find any kind of equivilent in derby. I can't
really use pointers to do this as I'd then be running queries that return
recordsets with a couple of throusand rows to them and I can't imagine that
being at all efficient.

So how do you do it? I can't imagine that it'll be hard as it's one of the
basic premises of a relational database.

Thanks.
Liam.