db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Lichtman <swa...@rcn.com>
Subject Re: Autocommit and multi row INSERT
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:20:55 GMT

>With automcommit == true, is an INSERT always treated as single
>transaction, even if the INSERT inserts multiple rows of data?  I've
>always assumed that this would be the case, but I'm not sure I've seen
>that in it the jdbc autocommit contract.  The practical question is
>whether I should turm autocommit off before issuing a multi-row insert.

All insert, update and delete statements in Derby are atomic, which means
(among other things) that multi-row inserts are not broken up into separate
transactions. This is part of the SQL standard, and all SQL database
systems that I know of behave the same way.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 swazoo@rcn.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/