db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Gaurav Anand <gauravanan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to proceed ?
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:36:12 GMT
Can any body help?

I am skeptical in using Derby because of its relationship with IBM
Cloudscape. IBM has recently launched 'IBM Cloudscape V10.0', which
they claim is Open Source-based (Derby based) relational database
management system and is available for a commercial license.
Check: http://sourceforge.net/cloudscape_download.php

What is the motive behind?
Does IBM wanted to popularize Derby first - by using ASF platform -
and then releasing a commercial product?
Will the ASF community support be available forever, or with the
launch of commercial version users will be left with no other option
but to go for commercial license/support services from IBM (Like Mysql
case).

Clarification about "Does derby offers a network edition?"
I want to know whether Derby be used with a client/server application.