db-derby-user mailing list archives

From myrnap <my...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: OSGi bundle dependency
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:27:37 GMT
Jeff Ramsdale wrote:

> I was excited to find OSGi support built into Derby and I just had to
> drop it into Knopflerfish to start poking around. I was a little set
> back when I received an error because Derby couldn't find a java.sql
> package. No problem--I hit Google to find a bundle, but to my dismay
> I've been unable to find one!
>
> I'm a little new to OSGi and I don't yet have much experience with
> Derby. So I'm wondering how best to make use of this functionality.
> Does anyone have experience using Derby as a bundle? If so, how did
> you resolve this dependency? Also, do any of you know of uses of Derby
> with OSGi? Seems like a perfect match--I'd love to hear how other
> people are making use of it...
>
> Jeff

Jeff,

The OSGI support was put in place specifically to support the IBM SMF
(software management framework - which is an implementation of the OSGI
specifications in IBM WebSphere Client Technology) because of a customer
request. So it has actually been used in that context.

However, support should not be limited to that particular OSGI
implementation.

The java.sql package is indeed required for the Derby database. It
should be there in the environment, or as a separate bundle...

Myrna