db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <skam...@Yngvi.Org>
Subject Re: Suggestions for improving performance?
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:50:29 GMT
Barnet Wagman wrote:

> I've been working with two simple tests, an INSERT and a SELECT
> <snip>

> Any comments/suggestions re tweaking performance would be appreciated.

Is the insert test running in autocommit mode ?

Running the inserts in autocommit mode is slow as each commit involves a
flush of the log to the disk  for each row.
Instead you can try to run with autocommit as false  and execute a
number of inserts in one transaction and then explicitly  issue a commit.

just curious - were you using the transactional (innodb) storage engine
for mysql and was it set to force logs to disk for every commit ?

Sunitha.

ps: Also, it may be best to run a few repeats of the test to gather
stable numbers.