db-derby-user mailing list archives

From todd runstein <todd_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Embedding a database in a web application
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:45:05 GMT
I'm looking for ways to embed a Derby database into a
web application that will be distributed as a war
file.  Since I don't know the path where it will be
deployed ("webapps" in Tomcat, "deploy" in JBoss,
etc), I'm struggling to envision how I can make a JDBC
connection.

Let me elaborate a bit.  I want to create a database
(basically an empty set of tables) and put the
directory that Derby creates somewhere in the WEB-INF
directory of my web application.  I want to use this
database to save user preferences or application
settings.  I want to be able to create a war file
which someone with a J2EE server can drop into their
server and have the application work.  Making changes
to the web server is out of the question (so the Lance
Bader tutorial technique is out).

If you were asked to do this, how would you go about
it?

Thanks in advance!

Todd

=====
The only "dumb question" is the one you were too afraid to ask.
Check out RouteRuler - Free software for runners, cyclists, walkers, etc.
http://routeruler.sourceforge.net