db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernd Ruehlicke" <BRuehli...@lgc.com>
Subject CREATE FUNCTION with SQL examples ?
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:29:47 GMT
Hi there,

still Derby newby which is digging through the documentatins but cannot
find wht he needs ...

trying to make a dum funtion MYFUNC  without any parameters returning a
number it gets via soem sql lookups. Any examples out there of how a
function is to be declared without parameters and how the java program
can do SQL against Derby ? So that I can use this function like

ij>  values myfunc;

For the declaration I tried:
CREATE FUNCTION MYFUNC RETURNS BIGINT PARAMETER STYLE JAVA CONTAINS SQL
LANGUAGE JAVA EXTERNAL NAME 'com.xyz.DerbyFunctions.myfunc'

and got
ij> CREATE FUNCTION TEST1 RETURNS BIGINT PARAMETER STYLE JAVA CONTAINS
SQL LANGUAGE JAVA EXTERNAL NAME 'com.xyz.DerbyFunctions.myfunc'; ERROR
42X01: Syntax error: Encountered "RETURNS" at line 1, column 23.

So QUESTION:

1) How to make this CREATE FUNC call correctly ?
2) Is it possible to make a function so I do not need to add () for no
parameters
3) How to I do SQL against Derby in my Java static method ?!?!

Thanx
B-)