db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andrej Tibaut <andrej.tib...@uni-mb.si>
Subject RE: How to proceed ?
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:31:12 GMT
Hi,

I had the same problem a couple of months ago...our project ambitiously
aims
to develop J2EE architecture with client/server enabled database and
client
(desktop) applications with embedded database.

We invested some time and compared the following databases: Hypersonic
(HSQLDB) , Derby, MySql and PostgreSQL. We also wanted to test Daffodil DB
but at the time there was no free version.
Our project requested an embedded (or in.process) database and a
client/server database.
We wrote a "SQL-tester" which gave us our winners:
- Derby for our client Java applications
- PostgreSQL for our J2EE enterprise server

One fact that I was in favour of is that both Derby and PostgreSQL work
together with Daffodil Replicator which became open source in october.

With the decisions made we can now procede to develop our J2EE
application.

I hope this can help you.

Regards,
Andrej