db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Unable to restore a Derby database [SOLVED?]
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:21:03 GMT

I also think you should file a JIRA entry.  I would have at least
expected some message in the derby.log.  A discussion would be good
as I don't know what users want in this case.  Should the connection
request:
~    a) fail with a reasonable message back to user
~    b) succeed but with a warning that the restore did not work back to
user
~    c) succeed but with an error in derby.log
~    d) fail but with an error in derby.log
~    e) succeed with no message
a or b seems reasonable, c or d may be easiest to implement, e seems
unreasonable.

The actual code to execute the restore from backup happens in derby at
"boot" time.  And historically it has been hard to get good error
messages back to user when boot fails at such a low level, I am not
sure what happened in this particular case as I did not debug it.