db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Calvin Smith <cal...@thatone.com>
Subject Re: Unable to restore a Derby database [SOLVED?]
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 04:36:10 GMT
Oh man, do I feel stupid. I just re-read the manual again and realized
that the restore from path is not the directory into which the backup
occurred, but the sub-directory that the backup created in that directory.

I was doing:

connect 'jdbc:derby:myDb;restoreFrom=/mybackupdir';

instead of:

connect 'jdbc:derby:myDb;restoreFrom=/mybackupdir/myDb';

After trying the second form, it works perfectly. Perhaps a better
message (indicating success or failure, instead of silence in both
cases) would be helpful, but this was a case of PEBCAK
(http://www.hyperdictionary.com/computing/pebcak).

Thanks again, and I apologize for wasting anybody's time on a silly
problem....

-calvin

p.s. If anybody thinks that the silent response when the backup
directory (which contains the backup database directory) exists but the
backup database directory doesn't exist is a bug, I'll be happy to file
a Jira issue. This is inconsistent with the behavior when the backup
database directory does exist but isn't valid, and the user is notified
of an error.