db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Calvin Smith <cal...@thatone.com>
Subject Unable to restore a Derby database
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:47:12 GMT
hi,

I'm having trouble restoring a Derby database. I backed it up to another
directory, and then tried adding a few rows to the original database,
disconnecting, and then connecting again with the restoreFrom attribute.
I was able to connect successfully, but the extra records were still in
the database, and it hadn't been overwritten.

I tried to connect first through ANT (since this is part of my build
process), but just to be sure that ANT wasn't causing the problem, I
connected with a JDBC client (DBVisualizer) and observed the same behavior.

The URL I ordinarily connect to is:

jdbc:derby:net://localhost:1527/asdf;create=true

After doing the backup of the database, I verified that there were a
bunch of files in my backup directory under a directory called
'asdf' (the database name), which seems like a successful backup, but
when I connect with the following URL:

jdbc:derby:net://localhost:1527/asdf;restoreFrom=/home/cs/Desktop/workspace/asdf/db/derby-backups

nothing is different, and the restoreFrom apparently did nothing. Here
are my config details:

Java VM:  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
Java Version:  1.4.2_06-b03
Java Vendor:  Sun Microsystems Inc.
OS Name:  Linux
OS Arch:  i386
OS Version:  2.6.9

Both the Derby and Universal JDBC driver were downloaded about 5 days
ago, so they're probably the latest versions, but here's what JDBC
records as the versions:

Apache Derby
10.0.2.1
IBM DB2 JDBC Universal Driver Architecture
2.4.17

I also tried connecting directly using ij, and observed the same
behavior. I started ij, then executed:

connect
'jdbc:derby:net://localhost:1527/asdf;restoreFrom=/home/cs/Desktop/workspace/asdf/db/derby-backups:user=test;password=test;';

And I observed that the data created after the backup occurred was still
there.

Any ideas what might be going on? If anybody has been able to
successfully restore, I'd really appreciate seeing a connectUrl or two
that worked correctly.

Thanks in advance...

-calvin

p.s. Erring on the side of too much info, here is the ANT target which
shows how I'm starting the server:

<target name="db-start" description="Start derby on localhost:1527">
	<mkdir dir="${derby.basedir}"/>
	<java classname="org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl" fork="yes"
dir="${derby.basedir}">
         <arg line="start"/>
	<jvmarg value="-Dderby.system.home=${derby.basedir}"/>
	<jvmarg value="-Xmx256m"/>
         <classpath refid="db.derby.server.classpath"/>
     </java>
</target>

Roughly equivalent to:

cd ${derby.basedir}; java -Dderby.system.home=${derby.basedir} -Xmx256m
-classpath ${db.derby.server.classpath}
org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start