Jeff Ramsdale wrote:
4) Finally, I believe I saw a reference somewhere
indicating beta code existed to allow Derby (or
Cloudscape?) to run in-memory only. What's the status
of that code and if it's available how would one make
use of it?

Thanks!

Jeff

I work for IBM and I am listed on the to-do list of the Apache/Derby website as being the contact for in-memory database.

I wrote some code to allow Derby to run in-memory. However, it is not beta code. It is a prototype written to test the org.apache.derby.io.StorageFactory interface and to show that the interface could be used to write an in-memory database.

The prototype code implements entirely non-persistent dabases. The data goes away when the JVM ends, the code does not automatically save the data to a file at termination nor does it automatically read data from a file when the database starts up. An application can use the normal backup/restore facilities to save and restore to and from a file.

I have been told that I can contribute the code to the community, though the mechanics of doing so and where it should go remain to be worked out. Is there some interest in the code?

Jack