db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Wes Johnson" <hinote1...@hotmail.com>
Subject Derby vs. HSQL
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:22:49 GMT
Greetings,

I'm in the process of evaluating databases for use in an application that
I'll be writing in the near future.  As performance is very critical, I'm
only considering in-memory and in-process DBs.

For starters, I decided to pit Derby (actually Cloudscape 10.0) against HSQL
by running some extremely informal benchmarks.  Basically, what I did was in
a loop of 10,000, insert 4 rows in a table and then select all rows.  In
other words, run 40,000 inserts and 10,000 selects.

The results greatly surprised me; for the in-process mode, HSQL came out to
be 3+ times faster than Cloudscape!  I attempted to tune the latter by
increasing page size, etc., but I wasn't able to improve performance.  I did
notice that HSQL was utilizing almost all of the CPU, while Cloudscape was
using hardly any (with java.exe hovering around 3% of utilization).

I would tremendously appreciate any suggestions for tuning Cloudscape such
that I can achieve the *correct* performance. :)  Or, if anyone has compared
Cloudscape to HSQL already (a web search turned up very little), I would be
very curious to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!