db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jianhui Jin" <ced1...@leeds.ac.uk>
Subject RE: Spatial extensions for Derby?
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:49:02 GMT
it is great, i mentioned this to Geotools Guys, they said they are
interested database with spatial.

jin

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Martin Davis [mailto:mbdavis@VividSolutions.com]
	Sent: 28 September 2004 17:16
	To: derby-user@db.apache.org
	Subject: Spatial extensions for Derby?

	I'm wondering if there is any interest in having/developing
spatial extensions for Derby?  I can see value in having Derby available
as an embedded database for working with large spatial datasets.

	I expect that adding spatial to Derby would involve:
	- defining spatial types
	- implementing a spatial index (probably an R-tree)
	- adding spatial query and manipulation functions

	As the developer of the JTS Topology Suite API, I would be happy
to offer this package as a component of a spatial implementation in
Derby.  Feel free to contact me if this is of interest.

	Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
	Vivid Solutions Inc.      www.vividsolutions.com
	Suite #1A-2328 Government Street Victoria, B.C. V8T 5G5
	Phone: (250) 385 6040 - Local 308 Fax: (250) 385 6046