db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Eric Davies <E...@barrodale.com>
Subject GiST indexes anyone?
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:28:01 GMT
Barrodale Computing Services are rather excited by the  open sourcing of
Cloudscape (Derby).
Specifically, we are interested in exploiting/augmenting Cloudscape's
spatial capabilities. We have implemented spatial datatypes and indexes for
the Informix and postgreSQL in the past. But if we understand correctly,
Cloudscape does not currently support spatial types nor indexing strategies.
Certainly nothing on the features page suggests this.

That being said, we heard rumours of a GiST "experiment" underway in
Cloudscape.  If the GiST code could be made available, this would greatly
facilitate the development, ultimately, of spatial indexes, including but
not necessarily limited to R-tree indexes.  With a proper spatial index,
Cloudscape could be applied to a much more interesting set of problems,
particularly in areas related to GIS.