db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Steen Jansdal <st...@jansdal.dk>
Subject Re: Derby performance and data volume
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:02:00 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:

> <...snip...>
>

> A couple of areas to watch for:
>
> 1) optimization/comiplation of queries in derby is relatively costly,
> most work to this point has been in making execution of already compiled
> queries perform better.  The assumption has been that it is ok to take
> time optimizing/compiling the query, and then the result will be cached
> and reexecution of the query the next time will pay no
> optimization/compilation cost.

I have thought a lot of this approach and have been wondering if it was
possible to implement a hotspot concept like the JVM. The first couple
of times a query is executed it is executed by a "normal" executor and
only when the engine decides that this is a hotspot query a compilation
takes place. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge of the engine yet
to try this out, but maybe other can step in.

Steen