db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Derby vs. HSQL
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:07:27 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>1) Derby's (& Cloudscape's) connection will be in auto-commit mode. This
>means every statement executed results in a commit. This is the JDBC
>standard for newly created connections. This means a flush of the
>transaction log will occur after every statement, depending on your
>disk, operating system and jvm this can take up to 20ms. This also leads
>to the mostly idle state when running this test, it's all waiting for
>the data to be synced to the physical disk.

I want to make a note here: I also did tests (years ago) where
Cloudscape was surprisingly slow. I also did similar Benchmarks the last
days but currently only with hsqldb and mySQL.

My general impressions are these:

hsqldb is much faster then mySQL; in the inProcess mode as well as in
the server mode! in the memory table as well as in the cached table
mode! allthough the speed difference is not so significant in the
servermode (approx 2 times faster then mySQL)

there is at some databases a significant performance difference whether
you make 10.000 insert statements in one transaction or if you make
10.000 transactions per insert statement.

Cloudscape seems to be pretty sensible to this; interestingly enough
hsql not. there is hardly a difference in between these two options.

Alex