db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jack Klebanoff <kleba...@Mutagen.Net>
Subject Re: Derby, DB2, & Syntax
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:49:02 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Jeff Ramsdale wrote:<br>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">...
4) Finally, I believe I saw a reference somewhere
indicating beta code existed to allow Derby (or
Cloudscape?) to run in-memory only. What's the status
of that code and if it's available how would one make
use of it?

Thanks!

Jeff
  </pre>
I work for IBM and I am listed on the <a
 href="http://incubator.apache.org/derby/DerbyToDo.html">to-do list</a>
of the Apache/Derby website as being the contact for in-memory database.<br>
I wrote some code to allow Derby to run in-memory. However, it is not
beta code. It is a prototype written to test the
org.apache.derby.io.StorageFactory interface and to show that the
interface could be used to write an in-memory database.<br>
The prototype code implements entirely non-persistent dabases. The data
goes away when the JVM ends, the code does not automatically save the
data to a file at termination nor does it automatically read data from
a file when the database starts up. An application can use the normal
backup/restore facilities to save and restore to and from a file.<br>
I have been told that I can contribute the code to the community,
though the mechanics of doing so and where it should go remain to be
worked out. Is there some interest in the code?<br>
Jack<br>