db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Joachim Dagerot <li...@dagerot.nu>
Subject MyEclipse and Derby - Best Practice question
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:41:44 GMT
Hi everybody, my second post! :-)

My new Dervy installation is up and it's running, very smooth....

However, my only reason for switching RDBMS was to be able to try out
the DB Explorer (DBE) in MyEclipse.

If I connect the DBE to my embedded database via an connection string
like this:

jdbc:derby:directory:/c:/eclipse3/workspace/AK/AKDerby

I can access the DB, see all meta data and everything. However, if I
run my java tests I get the Failed to start database 'AKderby', see
the next exception for details. Another instance of Derby may have
already booted the database

And if I close down the DBE connection the .lck file is still there
and I can't access the data via my test scripts anymore.

I don't really know what I want, but I would like an embedded DB
(atleast in production) which I can access and edit both via my
application and via DBE, if this means I should run the NetServer
during development and embedded during production I'm find with that,
but what is best practice, how is everyone else doing this?