db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Joel Rosi-Schwartz <Joel.Rosi-Schwa...@Etish.org>
Subject Integrating Derby and Hibernate
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:33:05 GMT
Hi,

I am working on integrating Derby and Hibernate and have run into a small
issue.

First, though, I think that it might interest the Derby community to know that
there is now a DerbyDialect for Hibernate. It was contributed by Simon
Johnston and can be found at
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HB-1224. While this
is not yet an official part of the Hibernate release, I have been pounding on
it pretty hard for the past two days and I am satisfied that it is good
enough for me to start writing code against. It will probably mature when the
Hibernate team gets to looking at Derby officially. I believe that they are
waiting for an official release from Apache. Personally I think it would be a
nice if someone from the team officially contacted Gavin to form a working
relationship. IMHO, having a sound integration would be a real win-win
proposition.

My environment is Cloudscape 10 beta, Hibernate 2.1.6 and Java 1.4.2_04,
running on w2k.

The issue is the length limitation of 18 characters that Derby imposes on
foreign key constraint names. This is not an issues if one is writing a new
schema, but existing schemas and hibernate's auto generation of FK names do
cause a problem. Is there anyway to adjust this dynamically (I rather doubt
it) or is this essentially a enhancement request?  The IBM Cloudscape
Reference Manual indicates that a similar 18 character limit applies to
index, function and trigger names. Are these also areas that might cause
portability issues?

Thanks for the great work you folks are doing for the community.

Cheers,
Joel