db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Derby - Cloudscape compatiablity
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:00:56 GMT
On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 14:31, chicagokarl.2890466@bloglines.com wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if there are going to be any compatiability issues between
> the current Cloudscape 10 beta and the initial Derby release?  Is the database
> format going to change?  Any issues that end user-developers might want to
> know?
>
> --
> Karl Ostendorf

The functionality of the Cloudscape 10 beta and Derby is the same, but
the names of jar files (such as cs.jar) and packages (com.ihost.cs) will
change from the beta to Derby -- there's a warning about that in the
download page for the Cloudscape 10 beta at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0408cline/#IDA0DQ5 .

However, it might not be quite so obvious from the information in that
page that you'll need to create new databases in Derby -- you won't be
able to use Derby with databases created by the Cloudscape 10 beta.
Since betas aren't intended for production use, Cloudscape doesn't
support in-place upgrade from a beta to the generally available release.

I hope this helps.

regards,

 -jean